Friday, July 3, 2009

Chapter 22: Glances


Chapter 22:
Glances

“What was that?”

Grace shut the door behind us.

Christopher and I looked at each other.

“Oh come on!” Grace yelled. “That’s adorable! You two have the same look on your face.”

Christopher and I continued to look at each other.

She shook her head. “But tell me what happened!”

“Well, I can create wind,” Christopher smiled.

“The wind?” I asked.

“Yah. Like whoosh.” He threw his kite out, and it sailed across the room before it turned around and returned to him.

Grace looked at me. I shrugged.

“You can manipulate wind at that distance?” Grace asked.

“Is there something wrong with that?”

“Can you grab that pot?”

He got up from his seat and brought the pot over.

“Here you go!”

“That’s not what I meant.” Grace sighed.

“Oh well.”

“Why does it matter so much?” I asked.

“That whirlwind…”

“Was to get rid of the Rocs,” Christopher frowned. “I’m not trying to show off or anything. I didn’t even make it that strong.”

I looked at the boy.

“You could’ve made it stronger?” Grace asked.

“But people might have gotten hurt.” A puzzled look came across his face.

“That’s not what I meant,” Grace sighed. “You need to keep your powers secret, Christopher.”

“Why?”

“Because, with what you can do, and what I believe you could do, people might want to abuse that.”

“I don’t understand,” I stated.

“He could be limitless, Hank.”

Before I could say anything, she already began to explain.

“He can already manipulate it to the point that he can guide a kite and create a whirlwind. Just imagine what he could do if that whirlwind wasn’t his full strength.”

I thought about it for a moment.

“He could become a target of Jack.”

“He could be a target of the Children and the Crown.”

“Guess that means one thing then,” Christopher smiled.

“Don’t you dare suggest it,” I stated.

The next day, I found myself sitting at the Honky Tonk with Grace and Christopher. His parents had dropped him off at school for Grace and me to take care of him. Even his parents were aligned with this idea.


Text and Images © Jonathan Lee

2 comments:

Tommy SoCal said...

Hank and Grace now have a surrogate child. Hurray! This chapter made me laugh. I could see the events play out in my mind and the look on Hank's face was priceless.

Jack Plum said...

Haha. You have a very good imagination. :)