Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Chapter 19: Stormy Night


Chapter 19
Stormy Night

I opened the door. Light from the hallway filtered into my dark apartment. My feet were unsteady. I tripped over the doorway and fell in. But a black billowy pillow caught me.

“Watch out,” Grace smiled.

Her voice was comforting.

She helped me up.

“Thanks.”

“C’mon.”

She turned on the light as she supported me inside. She dropped me onto the couch, and I lay there, sick to my stomach from the afternoon’s events.

“What do you want to eat?” she asked as she walked into the kitchen.

She rummaged through my cabinets and drawers. A clattering of metal against glass and wood. She had no qualms about entering other people’s spaces.

“I’m not hungry.”

“You have to eat,” her voice rose over the clatter.

I didn’t reply. There was more noise from my kitchen. And then a shadow loomed over me.

“Here.” She handed me a plate with a PB and J on it – a true PB and J.

I looked at the sandwich.

“It’ll make you feel better.”

I placed it onto the table.

She grabbed it and then sat on my chest.

“What’re you –ufmhhhnnn” The sandwich was shoved into my mouth.

“Bite down!”

I bit into the sandwich.

“Chew!”

I chewed the sandwich.

“Swallow!”

I swallowed the sandwich.

She got off me.

“How was it?”

“Violating.”

She laughed. “Well, you’re home safe now. Rest up, okay?”

She began to leave. I grabbed her hand.

“Don’t go.”

She stared at me, then at my hand, then at me again.

“Fine. But you’re taking the couch then.”

I let go of her hand and she walked toward the room.

“And no peaking!”

She slammed the door shut.

Who did what to whom earlier?

I awoke to the sound of thunder. I hadn’t even realized I fell asleep. I got up and moved toward my back patio. Rain pattered against the sliding glass door. I don’t remember the weather forecasting rain.

I closed my eyes and placed my phone against my ear. With the rain, I could find Jack.

All at once, the echoes of the rain silhouetted buildings, people, and city objects from all sides. I could see everything out at night, but it’s tremendously difficult to focus. I moved through the soundwaves at streetlevel to the skyline, but I could not find him. No. I found something else instead.

On the roof of a skyscraper, a man in a half-trench walked toward a woman holding an umbrella. I could hear their conversation pitched in black.

“One of your agents attacked Hank today,” the man stated. He placed his hand to his mouth and took a puff of his cigarette. He blew out, but I could see no smoke.

“I had nothing to do with that,” the woman stated. “I am merely director of this sector, but the Council is still above me. And beyond that, there are those who would go behind my back.”

“Hmm.”

“Eason, you know me. I would never do such a thing.”

“I knew you long ago.”

“So what have you come here for then? You barged through my building and beat down many of my agents to reach me.”

“You could have let me through.”

“Did you come here to dance?”

The man did not answer.

“You know smoke and water don’t mix.”

“I’m stubborn.”

“Yes, you are.” A nostalgic tone caressed Eason, but he remained stoic. “Then, let’s dance.”

The rain came down harder, but the man charged through it toward the woman. It pelted against his coat and his hair. She closed her umbrella, and the rain became like needles. It pinned down toward him.

I heard the man’s cigarette crackle. The needles dissolved above him in the blackness of sound. I don’t know what happened to them.

“Oh?” the woman sounded surprised as she watched him continue toward her. “How much better you dance.”

“I’ve learned a few new moves.”

“I’d love to hear see them.”

“Hmm.”

He caught a hold of her arm.

“You caught me. What now?”

The rain slowed.

“Watch out for those who want you to fall.”

“You don’t need to tell me.”

And the rain stopped. There was silence. The vision faded.

I sat there in the dark of the room. There was a storm, but now, it was quiet.


2 comments:

Tommy SoCal said...

I never realized how useful Hank's aspect was as a narration tool until this chapter. Its like his aspect transforms him from first person to omniscient narrator when you need him to be there. Its funny because I forget that Hank is there as the agent of the narration because he is not interrupting the flow of the side conversations.

Grace should have said "good boy!" after she force fed Hank, it is totally within her character.

Jack Plum said...

Hmm. I'll keep that in mind.

Haha. Grace should have said it. But it would've been a little too kinky.