Monday, April 27, 2009

Chapter 6: Involved



Picture will be up by Tuesday. Taking a break for Thursday. Studying for Midterms. Resuming on Monday.

Chapter 6
Involved

“Who are you?”

The man drew in a breath with his cigarette and blew out a long tendril of smoke. The tendril looped and twisted in the air until it spelled out:

Detective Eason Schwind

“I’ve been looking for you two,” he spoke.

“Why?” I asked.

“You two were involved on the subway incident yesterday.”

“Says who?”

He puffed on his cigarette. “Witnesses.”

“And what do you want?”

“Just to talk.”

“Seems that’s what a lot of people want.”

“Well, you’ll have to humor me unlike others.”

He reached into his coat and pulled out a badge.

“Or I can always take you in.”

I bit my lip.

“Okay,” Grace smiled.

I found myself in the Honky Tonk again within the hour, sitting with not just one person who wanted to talk to me but two.

At this rate, I’ll have a throng of people clamoring to talk with me.

The detective stared me, puffing a cigarette indoors. No one dared to stop him. The employees and the customers just sat there, watching him smoke. They saw a policeman and were afraid. I just didn’t care. Grace’s attention was occupied by a slice of cake.

“You sure you don’t want anything?” the detective asked.

“I’m fine.”

“This is on you, right?” Grace covered her mouth full of food as she mumbled out the words.

“Yes.”

Grace ordered herself a cup of coffee and more sweets.

“Tell me what happened on the train ride,” he spoke.

“There was an accident. I didn’t see what happened, but I didn’t wait. So I left the car and entered a service exit.”

“Is that what happened?” He glanced toward Grace.

She looked up from her food and was ready to reply but the detective stopped her.

“Good. Keep it that way.”

My brows furled.

“I uphold the law,” he stated. “But there are things out there beyond our ‘law.’ And there are people who fight those things. I keep them safe.”

Grace cheered through the food in her mouth. “You’re awesome!”

A wisp of a smile appeared on the detective’s face. “How much do you two know?”

“Nothing.”

“Just that there are Affects, Aspects, and Icons,” Grace chewed.

“And how do you know these things?” he asked.

She sipped her coffee. “I did my research.”

“Where?”

“Libraries.”

“That must have taken a long time.”

“Not when you’re motivated.” She bit into a raspberry cream-cheese pastry.

“Your last name is Lovenson, correct?”

A shadow darkened her face.

“That explains it all.” He took a deep breath through his cigarette. “Would you like to know more?”

“Yes,” Grace replied without hesitation.

Why is she so interested?

“People have Aspects, and no one knows why. There are theories. But the important thing is, we use our Aspects to protect ourselves against Affects.” He let out a puff of smoke.

“And where do Affects come from?”

“Some say they’re the aggregate of the dark thoughts and emotions that we hide, that we express when we think no one’s watching, that we pretend that we don’t have. They collect and form these creatures. Some are special and unique, and others are generic and plentiful. The unique ones could be specially tailored – a dark reflection of someone or something.

“And then, there’s the other theory: Affects are the world flood come to purge us.”

“What?” I asked. “You’re saying the world wants us gone?”

“That’s what some people say. And some people agree with it.”

I could see Grace’s hands clench tightly around the silverware in her hands.

“There are two organizations: one protects people from the Affects, and the other fights alongside the Affects. What I want to know—“ He leaned forward toward us. “Is where you stand.”

“I will protect people,” Grace stated immediately.

“And you?” The detective turned toward me. “Where do you stand?”

“On my own.”

The detective’s eyes flashed over me.

“And what is your Aspect?”

“Don’t know.”

“What does it do?”

“My cell phone reacts to Affects, and I can hear them.”

“Hmm. You can find these creatures. Your ability is important to us.”

“I don’t care. I don’t want to be involved.”

“Well, it seems that you are.”

“Why do you say that?”

“That Nightmare targeted you earlier. And the other side will come after you too.”

“Nightmare?”

“The horse Affect. Your ability could be a double-edged sword. A two-way transistor. It wouldn’t be wise to stand on your own.”

“Then, I’ll stand with him,” Grace stated.

“What?” both the detective and I blurted.

“He’ll need me to protect him, and I can use him to find other Affects,” Grace answered.

“Don’t use me.”

“It’s mutual use,” she smiled. “I’ll keep you safe, and you’ll wind up finding Affects whether you like it or not. They are targeting you.”

She was right. I knew it. I didn’t have to enjoy agreeing though.

“Fine,” I said ruefully.

“Well, you two make an interesting couple.”

“Don’t we?” Grace smiled.

I wanted to scream. This was excessive.

She leaned forward to whisper to the detective.

I bit down on my lip, but then I heard clearly what she said.

“Watch, he’ll be full of angst and bite down on his lip,” she whispered to the detective.

I stopped biting my lip.

The detective chuckled. “If that’s what you two desire.” He stood up and began to leave. “Oh. Two pieces of advice. One: Aspects have limitations. Find them out quickly. Two: you aren’t the only independents out there. Watch out for a man draped in black. I’ve been searching for him.”

“Okay,” Grace nodded.

“Hey,” I stated.

The detective looked at me.

“There’s no smoking indoors.”

He looked down at his cigarette and extinguished it with his fingers. “My bad.” He then exited the Honky Tonk, pulled out his lighter, and began smoking once again.

Grace smiled at me. “So. Where now?”


Text and Images © Jonathan Lee

4 comments:

Neda said...

Interesting chapter. I'm kind of warming to Grace haha. Is there some kind of significance with her last name? It would be interesting if aspects were a genetic thing and her parents had aspects too. It will also be interesting to see how Hank handles being saved by Grace. Again. I don't imagine he'll be very pleased. The detective seems pretty cool too. Spelling his name out in smoke was an interesting way to introduce him. I want to know more about him now. And I just have to add that I am amused by the name of the cafe, Honky Tonk. I don't know why that amuses me so much but it does haha.I really like the dynamic between Grace and Hank and it should be fun to see where it goes. All in all a good chapter :)

Tommy SoCal said...

Ditto on what Neda said but I am glad that I was right on the lure aspect of, well, his aspect. If you ever plan on drawing the nightmare you should base it off the painting "Nightmare" http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/exhibitions/gothicnightmares/images/infocus/nightmare_lg.jpg at least for the head. Also if there is a limit to an aspect is he saying that there is a cost to using them? I was laughing pretty hard when I was imagining the organization that fights with the affects coming together. it kinda goes like this..

Nightmare is chasing down a guy in an alley. He pauses, rears up to smite his innocent prey when suddenly the prey screams~Wait! Why are we fighting each other?
Nightmare: Im not sure? No one has ever asked me that before.
Prey: Well why don't we work together?
Nightmare:Hmm.. sounds like an interesting proposistion, get on my back and we will go slaughter together.
Prey:Okay! Hey, by the way I wasn't aware that affects could talk.
Nightmare: Well no one has ever tried talking before.

And thus the dark organization was born.

Jack Plum said...

Haha. We'll see how the story progresses. I don't want to reveal anything. :) And his Aspect is part lure and part not. It'll be developed more as the story continues as everyone else's will as well. The nightmare Affect will probably appear again at some point.

Regarding limits - that'll be developed more.

I won't fully explain exactly how the organization is developed, but it will be touched on. And remember - the Nightmare is only a generic Affect. It is not unique.

Unknown said...

Teehee, Hank reminds me of you, Jon. You know you're an emo kid on the inside =)